We all remember the Nov’2000 when dehradun was declared the provisional capital of Uttarakhand. I vaguely remember the time before that a quite serene secluded valley that use to go bed at 09:00 pm or at some places before that but today its on its way to be a new metropolitan of North India. Bustling with New Malls, MNC’s and new building the capital is trying to maintain a deliberate equilibrium of its identity and Development.
Dehradun Also known as Doon Valley is in the foothills of the Himalayas nestled between the Ganges on the east and the Yamuna on the west. It is well connected to holi cities of Haridwar and Rishikesh and Lies in close proximity to popular tourist destinations such as Mussoorie, chakrata, Auli, Joshimath and Nainital.
Main languages spoken in the district are Hindi, Garhwali and Punjabi.
Dehradun is in particular famous for its weather, in summers (March -June) temperatures range between 38°C – 19°C Monsoons generally starts from mid of july and Lasts till Mid of October it is advised during this time to take a near by trip to the way leading to Mussorie and stop at any of the various Maggie points and mesmerize in the serene view of the valley covered in fog.
Winters are chilly in Dehradun temperatures can drop to 3°C however daytime you can bathe in sunshine during the cool climate.
Amazing places to Visit in Dehradun
• Shastradhara- Sahastradhara is famous for its sulphur water. A beautiful place to rendezvous with nature at its best with flowing rivers, heavenly waterfalls, refreshing hill views and to spend some quality time with your loved ones. If you go up on the mountain you will be happy to breathe fresh air and admire the view.
• Forest Research Institute – Amazing architecture, beautiful place with an apt confluence of nature, research and education creating soulful environment amazing fact this place is used in famous films like ‘ student of the year‘ .
• Buddha Temple – Grand temple of Buddha surrounded by large gardens, a very peaceful place.
• Tapkeshwar Temple- Tapkeshwar Mahadev Temple is one of the most famous temples dedicated to Lord Shiva Situated by the forest side near Garhi cant, Lord Shiva lignum is situated in a cave where drop by drop water falls on it from cave roof.
• Robber’s Cave – all stream with knee deep water flowing throw this small gorge
• Malsi Deer Park- This one is for small Kids, There are some deer a, a leopard and some birds a place you can stop by in between for 1-2 hours with your kids