Tips to prepare for river rafting in Rishikesh
River rafting is one of the most popular activity sports in Northern India and white water Ganges provides one of the better opportunity in the whole world to try this blood pumping adrenaline rushing enthralling adventure sports activity.
Time and again we have seen the first timers having a hard time with rafting lacking a basic preparation so we came with an idea to write on “Tips to prepare for river rafting in Rishikesh”
Lets start with some QnA
Is river rafting in Rishikesh safe?
95% yes! 5% No. Don’t worry, You are provided with training and all the protective gears before you take the jump. The rafters are professional people, they are at equal risk of losing their lives as much as you are.
How much time you need to take out for rafting?
Half a day if you start early by 10-11 am a 16 km rafting route will take anywhere between 3 or more hours and after that you will be tired for sure
what other activities i can combine with rafting?
Bungee jumping, Flying-Fox, camping, trekking
Which rafting package shall i use
There are 3 rafting points 9 km, 16 km and 32 km. If you are a first timer – 16 km is apt, 9 km if you are with kids and 32 km if you are a professional
Best Time for rafting in Rishikesh
February-May, October, November– this is one of the best time for rafting in rishikesh
December,January -its cold but still good for rafting
June-September– Rafting is banned because of monsoon
Do note: rafting can be closed anytime by local orders if the flow of the river is above dangerous level most notably this happens if there is a continuous heavy rainfall so do check the weather forecast before moving
Price for rafting in Rishikesh
- From brahmpuri 8 km – ₹ 300-350
- From Shivpuri 16 Km-₹400-600
- From kaudiyala 32 Km- ₹1200-1600
Preparing for Rafting
- Wear sleepers or any anti-skid footwear avoid going barefoot coz the beach is smoking hot in summers and the way to boarding point is filled with sharp rocks avoid shoes as they will get soaking wet
- Carry an extra pair of clothing
- Its better to leave your jewelry behind
- Speak to your guide before joining the batch, a good guide can make or break your day if he seems rude or frustrated move on sit on another raft generally raft of same company travel in batches even if not then ask the company you booked from to change the guide
- You can carry your wallet and mobile phones with you, your guide carries a waterproof carry bag especially for this purpose
- If you have Spinal Disc problem sit at the back
Precautions while Rafting
- Always wear your life jacket even if you know swimming
- this is a no brainier “Feeling sick ,avoid the activity”
- Don’t shout too much, you need to listen to you guide commands
Book online package for rafting
Rafting is so common in Rishikesh that almost all of the vendors do it perfectly. Do not go finding on the internet its better to ask the front desk of the hotel you are staying in or simply go to the shops that are there near ram and lakshman jhula for inquiry, they are the real ones with the credibility because of the physical presence they would provide you the best price and quality as they have years and years of experience operating from there.
Online vendors does not have much credibility until and unless they have some good reviews from reliable sources